A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Monday 20 June 2011

The prettiest star

It has not been good dragonfly weather this last week - too much rain or wind and not all that warm. So a warmer afternoon ahead of forecaste rain this evening called for a visit to Duck End. It was well worth the trip and in short visit I saw over a 100 azure damselflies. There were a good number of tenerals and females were much in evidence which was good to see.
DENR was the place I first met the 4 spotted chaser and the last two years saw a good few of them there. This year numbers seem less and the only one I saw today was this lovely creature perching for a while over one of the ponds.
But the real treat -the emerald damselfly- probably the most beautiful damsel of all - the prettiest star. It was so good to find 11 adults and 2 emergents today and on all but one pond. It was a good visit- several butterflies and a cinnabar moth and I think.......a young buzzard?

No comments:

Post a Comment