A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Elephant and footman



The night before was a bumper night for the moth trap and I am still trying to identify all the different moths that paid me a visit. Two nights running I have had a peppered moth, and yesterday a darker version of this moth as well- which is what my book shows. A very different moth to look at.
Wondered what these small guys were but have discovered they are common footman - had a half dozen of these, some of them settling on the outside wall of the trap.
And another hawkmoth- this time this lovely elephant hawkmoth which was very happy to sit on my finger for a while and spend all day in a shady spot of the garden. There was also the big privet hawkmoth - having overcome my slight reticence I let it climb onto my finger to carry it to a spot to release it- and cling it did - it did not want to fly away, but eventually convinced it the lillies were a better place to spend its day than my hand. What attractive creatures these are and what a treat to be able to handle them and see them depart. My journey of discovery continues............

No comments:

Post a Comment