A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Tuesday 14 June 2011

The circle of life

You may not think this is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen - but look again, it tells a fantastic story. This is the exuvia of a brown hawker dragonfly. It is the shell or case that the final instar larva emerges from. So when the larva is ready to move on to its final lifestage as the beautiful dragonfly it bursts its way out of this case, and what it leaves behind is an exact replica of itself as a larva.

I had a wonderful day this week at Wicken Fen Dragonfly Project studying these exuviae, and learning about them. Hours spent peering at them through as micropscope (new skill) and starting to understand how to work out whether it is a dragon or damsel, the family and hopefuly the exact species. The whole day just reminded me again what wonderfully made creatures these are and how much they are just right for their habitats and lifestyles.

So now I shall not only be ambling about looking at the beautiful creatures on the wing, but trawling amongst the pond margins for exuviae so that I can start honing my new found skill and fascination. Anyone got a spare microscope?

1 comment:

  1. hey Liz
    Sounds like you had a lovely day x Be really nice to get together and catch up. our trip to Canada sounds brill and your mums 80th sounded a good bash too :) see you soon M xx

    ReplyDelete