A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Friday 29 April 2011

What a wonderful day




What a wonderful day - a wedding, read a book for my studies and then a late afternoon by the River Ouse at Roxton. It was very peaceful, warm and I ahd a lovely stroll down to the Lock. And what treats there were- I had hoped to see a banded demoiselle and they were surely there. This is the metallic green female and they were to be found along the whole stretch of the riverbank - 56 today- and equal numbers of the female and the vibrant blue males.
I thought that was good but then spotted my first bluetail for this year. They have been seen these last couple of weeks but I was still thrilled to see this fairly mature individual for myself.
Having seen azures this week I was curious as to whether the Common Blue Damselfly would be on the wing- and I found a small number in the nettlebeds - mostly tenerals.

And then I was blown away to spot this little creature - I am fairly certain it is a teneral Red Eyed Damselfly. They are often found on lilly pads but this one was on the river bank. I do want to be sure it is a Red Eye so have sent it off for a second opinion as it is a little early - but then everything seems to be, and it seems to tick the boxes.
And dancing everywhere I could see mayflies - they bounce up and down in mid air like a puppet on a string and I did not think I would be able to get a photograph. But then with some careful looking I found this individuals clinging to a small twig. Thier family name is Ephemeroptera- which means "living for a day". Mostly that is true although some make a few days, but they do not eat as adults. They are also the only insect that moults when fully- winged so are quite special. I think this one may be Ephemera Danica - but it was a special moment to find it and tomorrow could have been too late.

And the nettle and cleaver beds were alive with spiders- which I am a little wary of, lots of hoverflies and a pair of common terns screaming above me. Two hairy dragonflies on the wing as I walked back up the lane to my car. What a terrific afternoon's stroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment