A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Reds and blues

A short amble at DENR yielded my first sighting this year of the delicate and eye catching Coenagrion puella- the lovely azure damselfly. It is classed as common yet the vivid and striking blue never fails to take my breathe away. I found some sitting on bushes between the marsh and long pond, but a couple of tenerals in the grasses on the border of the marsh pond. This first one is probably quite newly emerged and lacks colouring as yet, but the spur on its abdomen suggests to me it is an azure and will soon turn the most vivid hue of blue and shimmer in the sunshine.


This second one has developed more colouration and I think this is a female -as it has quite extensive black on the abdomen. Boht of these may have emerged from eggs laid last year so I might even have seen Mum and Dad last summer! They would have been eggs that hatched after a few weeks and then lived as greedy hunters in the pond consuming small invertebrates. They like standing water so the ponds at DENR are ideal.

I hope to get lots of photos of azures this year and identify the different forms.

This is a male Pyrrhosoma nyphula - what a splendid name- but its easier to large red damselfly or LRD. Again a widespread species, and is the first to emerge each spring time so a welcome herald that the Ds are back. They were a week earlier this year than alst due to the sunshine and last week lacked colour but have now turned this gorgeous bright red.

This last one is the female LRD -a form known as typica - the most common. She is not quite so bright red as the male.

Caught sight of two four spotted chasers on the wing- so who knows- a photo of these next time.

A very exciting and promising start to D time and so many sightings to look forward to, to puzzle over and just enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment