A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Friday 29 April 2011

Moth No 1

The moth trap arrived yesterday so despite the forecaste of rain (the first for days - just my luck!) I assembled it and with great expectation left it shining like a lighthouse in the garden overnight. So disappointed to open the curtains and see rain droplets, but unperturbed out to see the results of my first night. And it was worth it - one moth and one only but it was quite lovely and has taken me a good few minutes of scanning my book and looking at pictures on line, but I think I have finally arrived at a daignosis - a Muslin Moth - Diaphora mendica. The timing is right- flies April- June, broad forewing and a variable pattern of black spots. This is a male- the female would be creamy white or buff says the book. The male is nocturnal and the female active by day- didn't realise there would be a difference of habit. So here I am - launched on another hobby that will no doubt grab my attention! Lets hope I got this first one right.

No comments:

Post a Comment