A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Thursday 28 April 2011

Four firsts!!!!!

A day of four firsts for 2011 yesterday- lunch with a friend and a walk at the Wetlands was very nice- but also gave me my first sighting of the Hairy Dragonfly this year. In fact two of them- but it was breezy and they were flying around trees making a photo impossible. But on my way home did a quick stop off at Flitton Moor - well it is on the way home -and was delighted to hear my first cuckoo. Not the most melodious sound but one that is so distinctive and always makes my heart leap. Then found these little red and back creatures. I think they are red and black froghoppers or leafhoppers. Anyway they were not doing much hopping but are very distinctive. But the real high point- this gorgeous dragonfly.
Its a female broad bodied chaser and in the sunlight shimmered as it enjoyed the warmth. It is called Libellula depressa - sounds a sad name, but this one was certainly not an unhappy bunny. It is a medium sized dragonfly and this is a mature individual. Had it been immature it would have had less of the yellow markings along the edge of its abdomen. These are great little creatures to photograph as they tend to perch at about shoulder or waist level for me. Like others its a little earlier on the wing this year which is wonderful and just made my day as I watched it and listened to the cuckoo wich then appeared and flew off in front of me!

And just as I write a delivery has arrived- must be my moth trap.................

No comments:

Post a Comment