A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Thursday 4 August 2011

Ubiquitous or not


 An eclectic selection of photos this evening, starting with this lovely rose. Its one from my front garden and just today the second flush of blooms looked lovely even with the rainstorms. But it made me realise how the year is marching on, a fact even more obvious when I did a little shopping and the store was full of woollens. Anyway for now the roses are looking wonderful and this one has a deep sweet scent. And then looking at the photos I had taken earlier this week of moths from the trap I realised how too these change over the weeks and just how many different moths there are.

Amongst the moths that I have not seen in my trap before was this Riband Wave. They fly mid June- mid August and like so many of the moths I see is "ubiquitous" - but its still new to me and one for me to look out for.  The distinct kink in the leading edge of the band is a feature to look out for.  I am still having to look up what leading edge or margins or outer margin et al etc mean so identification is time consuming!

 I thought this a rather ugly moth to start but having looking at it a little more it has grown on me. Its the sort of moth that would have given me the creeps in bygone years but its grown on me. It lives in the south and central part of this country and is another ubiquitous creature - the shuttle shaped dart.

Unlike the dart this one really attracted me as soon as I looked into the trap. It looks like a camouflage but it is a Broad-bordered yellow underwing. It is said to be ubiqutous as well, flies mid July- early September and has the rather catching name  Noctua janthe. 

And ending with not a moth but this rove beetle - Nicrophorus investigator - I have had a few of these in the trap this week- they live in many habitats and escape into the grass as soon as they possibly can. An interesting assortmant of creatures - lots more to peer at and see if I can work out whay they are - but never a dull moment in the moth trap world. Why doesn't everyone have one???????????????

No comments:

Post a Comment