A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Thursday 18 August 2011

Lunar and a pug

 It has been a very wet and not very warm summers day - not one for getting out - but good for me as I needed to do some work around the house and some other tasks. Yesterday I went to use my camera to take some photos of the moths in the trap and the device told it the memory card was full - so have today backed it all up and cleared the photos - all 1983 of them! Amongst the moths I did see in the trap were two more new ones for me, and this is the first the Lime-speck Pug/ As always I say I think! This is the first pug I have identified although there have been quite a few around. I am not surpised at what the moth book says about them- "Deciding the moth is a pug is relatively easy...but identificaiton is often tricky"- and its not wrong! This oen fits the bill for size and the time of year and can be found anywhere in the UK. The book says its "umistakable" - and that point I and the book think differently. My first guess was a moth that when I looked is around only much earlier in the year. Lets hope I have arrived at the right moth now!
And lastly this plain looking moth but underneath it was a lovely yellow-orange which pointed me to the Underwings, and from the markings I think it is the Lunar Underwing. Its common and abundant in the south, and hte flight period is August- October. The small mark at the bottom of the wings also is mentioned in the book. There were at least three of these in the trap. 

I have lots of moth photos to work on but am so far delighted with my first months of moth trapping. There were lost of footman and plume moths in the trap this week as well - some to work on when I have some time.  What a diverse and interesting insect group they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment