A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Thursday 5 May 2011

Spots, waves and scallops


It was fairly late this afternoon before I went exploring to find Sandhouse NR -I am trying to visit some new places and also add to my dragonfly list. But despite promises warmth it was quite overcaste and at times not all that warm. Anyway after two misses in the lane I found the place and what a great little reserve it is - another one of those hidden gems managed by the Greensand Trust. It was a day of variety and in the woodland these red campion stood out - I would call them pink but red they are.

A number of moths and butterflies were around and this is a new one for me -a common white wave- distinguised by the three rows of cross lines.
Got introduced to these little creatures the other day at Duck End so it was good to see a number of these lacewings mostly on brambles or nettles - I think this is Chrysopa Perla - which has a bluish tinge - but having looked at my insect book now realise the things I need to look at one these to identify them,

Only two damsels today - both red eye teneral males - often found in gravel pits and the eyes have not yet gone blood red! Not able to add the species I hoped - but who knows next time?


And then this last creature- have puzzled over my butterfly/moth books for ages but every time I think I have got it I realise that something is not right. So for now a mystery - one to come back to another day - studying is what I should be doing right now - just not insects -and poring over these books has left my head full of spots, waves, scallops and antennae!

No comments:

Post a Comment