A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Friday 13 May 2011

Moths and a beetle

I just did not realise how difficult moths were going to be - but thats fine - I like a challenge. Took these a few nights ago but been too busy to try and identify them or blog! Anyway one mystery moth - have looked at my books and webpages but am stumped, probably dead common but time has run out tonight!
More luck with this one -the three lines being a big clue, Charanyca trigammica- but it shows one of the areas that can confuse me- color variatioon- the one in my book is much paler but the descrririptin says it can be brow or strawberry coloured! It is numerous May- July and so ticks the boxes as a Treble Lines.
And this quite big bug a cockchafer -Melolantha melolantha - a very rhymical name. Wondered what it was but the poinnted abdomen is the clue and it is a night flying beetle which eats the roots of many plants - so not really a welcome garden visitor. Apparantly it is noisy in flight and I just love its feathery antennae. Also called the May-Bug. Think I prefer the mayfly.


No comments:

Post a Comment