A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Monday 28 May 2012

The scarce chaser - a golden dragon


 On such a lovely morning I headed for a walk along the River Ouse at Roxton. As I left the car and walked along the lane I was thrilled to see so many banded demoiselles. I normally count drgaons carefully but as more and more danced in the air I quickly hit 50 and on the river bank itself the air was just full of these jewelled creatures. The sun really made them shimmer and the deep blue was brilliant and the green irridescent. After 200 I decided it was not a day for actually counting. I was pleased to see a pair in the wheel and so next years generation is 
 about to be as well.  
After a few minutes in the lane I had seen three golden scarce chasers, and the day was just better and better. Along the way I saw azure, common blue and my first large red eyed damsels for this year. And the real highpoint was just as I was on my way back from the lock and a glimpse of gold in the grass and nettlebeds. A closer look revealed a beautiful scarce chaser - had clearly emerged this morning and it was drying its wings and waiting for its maiden flight. A second look and I found the exuvaie close by and was able to retrieve it after a photo showing the chaser and the case. How fantastic- no doubt that this lovely dragonfly had emerged on this spot and so they are indeed breeding on this stretch of the river. And I was privileged to watch it fly into the air and its new life.There were more to see on my way back. And all the way along the path I listened to the call of the cuckoo. That always makes me so happy and today was no exception. So I headed home happily to get on with my day.


No comments:

Post a Comment