A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Thursday 31 May 2012

A day for the girls

 Could not resist a smile as I watched this proud Canada goose with its brood. There were two families on the bank of the pond, one couple had three quite mature goslings, but this couple had 13 - they must have been very careful and attentive parents to keep so many of the babes and they are now a good size.
 But the purpose of my stroll at Wetlands was dragonflies on a breezy and dull morning and I was incredibly lucky with what I found. There were hundreds of common damselflies including tenerals and some in tandem. I had always pondered the issue of the bluetailed damsel- books say it often the most common damsel to be found and I have previously only seen them in small numbers but today they were everywhere. The Small meadow was full of them and there amongst the grasses and wildflowers was this beautiful female black tailed skimmer. She was happy to pose for a photo and I am pleased with the outcome.
But it was a day for the girls today and my best find was this hairy dragonfly laying her eggs amongst the reedmace in one of the small ponds in The Wetlands. Hairy dragonflies are another species I have seen few of so this was thrilling, and I was rewarded with a good view of a male a little later on the pond outside the visitor centre as I headed to meet a friend for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment