A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Wednesday 21 September 2011

The kestrels kingdom

 My camera finally came home after its extra sojourn in Cornwall without me and it has been good to look at the photos from my holiday in Cornwall. I had not been there for years and had forgotten how beautiful it is. I really loved the north coast wiht its cliffs and sheer drops, the whoel ruggedness of the landscape. Lands End- well it has to be visited once but its a bit like a second rate theme park with some fairly run down attractions but it is still wonderful to stand there and look at the sign and imagine whats out there.
 Cornwall has so many stunning gardens and Trellithic (spelling?) was stunning even in late summer. The number of different shades of green alone was beautiful along with the shapes and vistas. There were some fantastic plants and I fell in love with the soft colours and petals of this lacewing hydrangea.Not at all overpowering like the mophead but delicate and wistful, sighs of a bygone age, planted by a gardener long gone.
 And the one suneshiney day spent dragon hunting - and I was not disappointed. Finding Ventongimps Moor Nature Reserve was only slightly easier than finding a needle in a haystack, but worth the persistence. David is used to this determination so happily listened to his Ipod whilst I did some mud walking and came back truely looking like the long lost creature from the bog but it was so worth it - several of the beautiful golden-ringed dragonflies on the wing, plus ruddy darters, and by the stream the beautiful demoiselle. Wonderful and its good to get messy.
 And from a cliff top great views of this little cove - a protected place for the grey seal. There were 70/80 of these strnage animals lying on the beach and a few bobbing about in the ocean. They included many young and it was special to stand and just watch them.
 But a real highpoint in more ways than the cliff top was for this most beautiful kestrel to come flying in and perch so near to me as I watched the seals. I have never seen one so close up and observed the loveliness of its colours. It is a wonderful bird and I am so pleased with this photo. Its not the closest photo of the bird but shows him perched high on the cliff face looking out proudly across his kingdom,  bright eyes keen and intelligent, and so alert. What a brilliant experience to feel the vibrancy of life from this handsome creature.

No comments:

Post a Comment