A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Thursday 22 September 2011

Funghi and dragons

 A short interlude at Duck End was well worthwhile. The sun was not strong and I realised that soon I will need a fleece or cardigan when I go strolling but today it was good although truely the season is now Autumn. I had only just parked in the lane when two migrant hawkers buzzed me and today I saw 5 of these late flyers. One was kinf enough to perch a while for a photograph.

I looked closely around the pond and in the grasses and found one very weak immature emerald damselfly (female) but it was good too when an emerald flew in front of me over the water, but only two now.

But there were several common dartersm many darting and eating tiny insects but then taking a rest on a log or on the tufts of grass.


 An unexpected pleasure today was the number of funghi that have sprouted. I know little about these and have just read that they are neither plant nor animal. I have taken a few shots and it will be good to see if I can identify them although I suspect it will be a learning curve like with the moths, a need to get an eye for shape, size and even smell. Apparently funghi are sometimes called the 5th kingdom- the other four being animals, plants, bacteria and protozoa- the last I know nothing of at all but they include slime moulds!

So something to get reading and learning about and maybe I will be able to go along on a funghi foray and get to know more- sounds like a good time of year to get interested too,

No comments:

Post a Comment