A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Monday 23 July 2012

Sunshine at last

 After being laid low for a few days with a virus it was good to get out for some walks. One of the first creatures I saw at Felmersham Gravel Pits were eyecatching in flight - glimpses of a vivid red. There were a good number perched like this one- I believe it to be the 6 spot burnet moth-a day flyer with club antennae - so why isnt it called a butterfly?
 It was a great day for dragonflies- coulds of azure and common blue damsels, many blue-tailed damsels- often in tandem or in the wheel and my first emerald damsels for this year. They are such pretty creatures. But it was also a day for true dragons and I saw my first sightings this year of the southern-hawker - this one kindly perching and the brown hawker. The brown hawker can look dull but when it flies and catches the sun it is such a deep golden brown as to take the breath away. It was also great to see my first common darter this year- a female ovipositing into the ponds.
 The sunshine brought out the butterflies and it was lovely to see this one on Flitton Moor. There were good numbers of meadow browns, skippers and large whites as well.
And the moth trap came out last night now the rain has cleared and I was rewarded with a good number of moths- two very attractive ones- this large  emerald and also a bright yellow brimstone. What a difference to the sunshine makes............

No comments:

Post a Comment