A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Friday 29 June 2012

4 spot conundrums............

 In my wanderings this year I have a feeling that I have seen less of these guys- the 4 spotted chaser than four years ago when I first started dragonflying. That in my perception was a good year for 4 spots but this year and last I seem to be seeing less of them. They are about but just not so many. They remain as larvae for 1-3 years so it may not be what has happened this year as much as what happened the last 1-3 years. An interesting question and has made me think I need to look back through my notes and see if I can find any clues?
 There also seem to be less butterflies this year- perhaps due to the heavy and prolongued rainfall- but I have seen a lot of bees - so what is good for one species may not be good for another. Bees are creatures I would like to learn some more about and are on my list of areas to read up on.
Had a great Sunday with the Wildlife Trust learning about longhorn and soldier beetles- and it was a great basis to help me understand more about the types of beetles and how to identify them. So looking at flowers and umbellifers this time of year is a good place to find them - now the hard task of identifying them. So lots to look out for - next week the Norfolk Hawker if I am lucky- but its time now for the Hawkers to be on the wing and who knows just what I may find!

No comments:

Post a Comment