A journal

A journal -
ambles near and far
the fauna and flora I met along the way
And some of the things I thought as I journeyed.

Saturday 16 July 2011

Gold and yellow and more

Been really busy but got the moth trap out last night so when I looked out first thing and it was raining thought there may be little to see. But I was wrong! Trap rescued into the garage and there were at least 4 species new to me. The first was this Scalloped Oak. It was resting with its wings flat and is to be seen June- September an a few habitats but including gardens.
A very pretty small moth and I think its is a Gold Triangle. It is found in southern England with its wings spread and in gardens so ticks the boxes.
This one puzzled me for a bit and I am still not certain but having looked at a number of photos I am plumping for it being the Dot Moth. It was almost black with a glossy sheen and is described as "ubiquitous".

And this very attractive moth seems to be a Yellow Tail as when it flew I spotted the yellow and it has the characteristic black spots near the corner of its forewing. The flight time is right and its another that can be seen just about anywhere. There were several others but I am poring over them and the book so will see what I can work out. Moths are definitely challenging but great fun and a different surprise everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment